View Single Post
Old 06-01-2017, 03:29 PM   #2
BayleighL
YT Addict

Default Barking

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingNimbus View Post
Hey guys, first dilemma....

I've been avoiding taking the dog out in the yard because the neighbor always has their dog out-- all the time... Which means that their dog barks anytime they see mine, and it doesn't help the situation that my dog barks at dogs too...

It's not the dogs fault, it's the fact that we're trying to keep the noise level down... I mean I am tempted to just stay there with the dog and let her bark to her hearts content so the neighbors get it that our dog needs to go out at some point to play outside... Their dog, and our dogs aren't saints... She only barks because their dog is relatively a lot larger (it's a golden retriever).

The solution I am asking for is a way to be able to take my dogs out without them being driven crazy by the other dogs barking and the other dogs barking be driven crazy by ours.

Is there something that could hide the scent of other dogs, and their presence? I was thinking of putting a dog repellent by our side of the fence so neither dog try to get near the fence.

The fence isn't see through, it's wooden. I have her leashed when I take her to the yard (with a retractable leash) but she just runs to there.

----

on another note-- is there something I can do about the poison ivy itch on me that wont hurt the dog? She constantly licks me, my legs, etc... I usually wear shorts as its hot in this house... It's funny because even the medicines that's not really dog friendly still dont work that well... I just want to get rid of it or ease the itching without being afraid itll affect the dog..

I know what it's like to be the owner with the dog that barks incessantly! It's a sad, frustrating situation either way. Our sheltie (many years ago) was a barker. Shock collars were out of the question. Distractors lost their benefit in about 10 minutes. We tried a collar that emitted a smell instead of shock and the only effect it had was on us. Exercise was just a warm-up for the main event. It was awful. And to make it worse we had aggressive neighbors who would torment the dog.

Now we are on the other end. One of the tormenting neighbors now has a barker of their own! Our dog is not a natural barker but she would woof under her breath a couple of times and when she does that she loses the privilege of being out with us. In she goes. No scolding. Nothing. Right to her enclosure. And we go right back out to "play." We wait a few minutes and let her try it again. It only took a few times to teach her that if she wanted to be out she couldn't do that. We also used commands to help keep her busy and working for us so she got (and gets) a lot of praise for being otherwise involved.
BayleighL is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!