Thread: Food
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2017, 12:44 PM   #15
Lovetodream88
Yorkie mom of 4
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason5906 View Post
You're right, I don't know you but all I have to base my comment off of is your post with no informational facts. You're really just proving my point because you are just spouting off your opinion and not providing any facts or information backing your opinion. I guess vets selling Purina are choosing that food because of it's stellar nutritional ingredients and processing? They value that food over all other food for your dogs health? That makes it hard to believe that they are not receiving any sort of benefits from a company.

To me, food is very much about the ingredients. I have never heard of a company using the best quality ingredients in food production for pets or people who have not done proper research or "trials" as you refer to.

You enjoy royal canin, that's fine and it's your prerogative. Let me tell you about my research on why I do no recommend royal canin or hills.

Let's talk corn:

Corn is not good for your animal, if you've seen otherwise it's probably from a big conglomerate that manufactures a lot of filler in their food such as corn and grains. Not to get me started on food allergies in animals based off grains, I will tell you just a few reasons why corn is not good.

Corn is very high in the glycemic index, this means your pet can have an unhealthy rise in blood sugar. Corn meal is actually higher than regular corn which is a main ingredient of royal canin.

Corn can contain cancer causing agents in pets because they are often contaminated with molds as a result of poor growing conditions, substandard or extended storage. Corn has become a major source of aflatoxin(this is a toxin produced by certain fungi that are found in crops such as corn). There have been plenty of pet related deaths due to Alfatoxins, feel free to research that.

Purina confirmed this in a statement to the South China Morning Post. They stated that cancer-causing aflatoxins were an “unavoidable natural contaminant.” AvoDerm stated that they have since removed the corn from its formula as they believed it was the source of the aflatoxins.

Testing in the US also shows that apart from the recalls from high levels of aflatoxins, nearly every pet food on the market contains aflatoxins or other mold-related mycotoxins. The animal health and nutrition company Alltech analyzed 965 pet food samples and found 98% of them were contaminated with one or more mycotoxins, while 93% contained two or more mycotoxins.

Even grain-free pet foods still contain a high carbohydrate content, so there is the potential for mold spores to contaminate the kibble during storage, especially if it is exposed to a moist environment. This can also happen in your home if your kibble is stored in a moist basement or an open container.

Aflatoxins are also carcinogenic. There has been research that shows tumor growth in animals caused by this.

Processed foods like corn and other grains have a lot more issues than what I've listed above. Feel free to do your own research on that as well. I would avoid reading articles from big conglomerations that use these ingredients, because they are biased and inaccurate.

You can almost find anything on the internet to tell you what you want to hear, so if you want to state opinions like your own, back them up with some research.

Carbohydrates in pet food are a cheap way for a company to manufacture food. Anytime you are picking out a food you should have meats listed before anything else on the label.

Royal canin uses by-product meat in their food. That essentially means you are getting leftover parts(this is what is left over after the meat is harvested off the animal, so it can essentially be anything). If you love your pet why don't you give them the benefit of eating parts of the animal that are supposed to be consumed. I know I wouldn't want to eat chicken parts for dinner.

I could really go on all day because I have done my research and I have done plenty of it. If you want to feed your dog by-product, grains, and other harmful items. That's up to you. Small dogs do not require a lot of food so buying a quality ingredient is not to difficult to do even on a budget.

I was wrong about my statement with Merrick, because you're right I haven't done research on the current state of the company. I have now. They used to be a decent company, Purina purchased them. I would not recommend them.

You've had a ton of posts and provided a lot of help to people on this forum I'm sure. I just don't care for people's opinions on something when there is no factual evidence. You could have been feeding your dog the worst quality food in existence and moved to royal canin which would be a step up, and made your dog better, I don't know. I can tell you the breeder I got my dog from gave me a starter pack of royal canin. Why? What good would that do me? It was for their benefit with kick back they got from the company for giving out their product. Just because a company hasn't had any recalls for a long time doesn't mean they aren't giving your pet very unhealthy items.

I realize I'm new to this forum but at least I can provide some facts instead of trying to bully someone around because you've made a lot of posts and have very strong opinions about how things should be. I would agree with your wellness recommendation like I said in my early post. Those ingredients are solid.
You can believe what you want honestly I can't change your mind but A LOT of dog food companies don't do that stuff. If it all about ingredients then you wouldn't mind feeding blue buffalo that has had lots of recalls are poor quality control and has lost several lawsuits. It's not all about ingredients. Most vets only sale prescription food and they DO NOT get a kick back. When everyone was saying this a while back I compaired the price of the food I payed at my vet to chewy and other places and it's the same price. You insulted my intelligence in your first post. I'm not an idiot. Royal Canin prescriptionfood has saved my dogs life. The probably with people like you who bash prescription foods is other people will come along and then refuse to feed there dog a prescription food when they are suffering from an illness that needs it because people have convinced them that those ingredients are just terrible and the dog is left suffering when that food could change its life.
Lovetodream88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!