View Single Post
Old 03-13-2006, 12:29 PM   #6
BlumoonYorkies
Yorkie Yakker

Default Breeding Dangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashasmom
We are always talking about the dangers of breeding (which I agree on). Most of you know I"m just starting out breeding Yorkies. I am curious how many of you have lost a female due to whelping. I do alot of fostering dogs and cats and have delivered alot of babies (i seem to get the ones that are always pregnant so I foster during that time thru being fixed and til the pups are weaned then I find homes whew lol) but anyway I've never had a female die on me. Can you tell me how long you've been breeding and if you've had a female pass away due to whelping..thanks..
I'm just curious as to how often this does occur.

If anyone is going to breed there yorkie they need to know ahead of time that it is possible they can loose the mother or pups or even both.
Breeding a small breed is not something anyone should take lightly and alot of research must be done. I also try to discourage people who have a family pet into not breeding. It is very difficult for a breeder of many years to loose one and for a family pet to be lost would be truly devistating. Yes, I have been breeding for 18 years and lost a mom to a uterine infection when the pups were only 3 weeks of age. I named one of the puppy girls after her and showed and finished her last year and am waiting on puppies as I type this.
She was one of my all time favorites that I loved and adored and best show producers. So this was extremely hard on me. And she was a 6 lb. girl. Those who are breeding these little ones under 5 lbs. are just asking for problems!
Just about everyone I know has lost a mother and if they havn't as of yet surley will in the future. I know many who on thier very first litter lost the mother or one or all of the puppies. My first litter I lost one of the puppies when the mother jumped on it. That was crushing on me and I could not sleep for weeks! I also know people who have had the mothers just lay down and dye in the 8 week of pregnancy because the puppies crowded the internal organs and shut them down. And these mom's were around 5 lbs. Breeding is not for everyone.... You must be cautious and know what can happen! Having an experience support system and mentor is very important!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!