View Single Post
Old 12-29-2016, 05:07 AM   #8
flybear
Yorkie Yakker

I think each yorkie has it's individual character and personality ... there are shy ones, outgoing ones, brave ones and aloof yorkies. Some potty train easy some not ( and I have noticed a correlation with how puppies are raised too - mill puppies are harder to house train because they were never taught to stay clean in the first place).
I would advise you to let your dog meet the puppy before adoption ... this might be hard because some breeders might not let you do a " try out". But not all dogs get along.
I had 4 foster puppies in the last year - one at a time and I have 3 own dogs - and only one of the puppies was liked by all 3 of my dogs immediately ( no adjustment period ... she came in and snuggled up with all of them within hours ) - one of the puppies was VERY dominant and scared my older dog Toby. Toby loves EVERY dog but he was visibly stressed by the arrival of Mr. Macho dog while he wanted to play immediately with Bella ( who is easy going and submissive).

As far as Yorkie personality goes - read through this forum and you will find description of pretty much every personality under the sun ... YES small dogs ( not just yorkies) can be harder to house train but if you are consistent and patient they will get it - just don't expect perfection before they are about a year old - maybe more ...

Our Bella is a dream to have ... she is social, loves other dogs, people and even small children, she loves to sleep on my lab when she is tired from play, she fetches and loves to romp around with her toys and follows me and the " pack" like a shadow. She has taken longer to potty train but she has made great progress lately at age 5 months.

Maybe you could foster for a while to see what personality traits you are looking for? I have always picked my dogs by personality not breed- even with little puppies you can already tell personality differences ...

I would not say that adult dogs don't like puppies ... mine do - it is often easier to integrate a young puppy despite the face jumping and craziness ... older dogs often instinctively give the babies leniency and gradually discipline them once they get older ... I have a neighbor dog who is CRAZY about puppies - she LOVES any puppy and will wine at the fence until she can meet them in person ... she will ignore older dogs ... but puppies are her " thing" ...
flybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!