View Single Post
Old 11-27-2016, 01:43 AM   #4
Veemo
Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie's Mom View Post
If the mouth odor is really this bad, you truly need to get to a vet asap. Tooth pain can be excruciating - so please don't let this linger. Just bc you can't see problems, it does not mean all is okay. Dental pain/issues are rarely visible. Ever have a cavity? Did you see it, or just feel the pain...? Same in dogs.

And if there is gas, you really do need to change the diet. Humans/dogs/animals can have gas when something is irritating the GI system and can't digest easily. As you know, gas/bloating can be very uncomfortable and it'd be no different for dogs. So, I'd be changing the diet asap.

I feed raw and love it. I'd recommend you either feed pre-made like Primal or similar...or, get a mix where where you just add whatever raw meat to the supplementation/vitamin packet - so that it's balanced; like Know Better Pet Food or similar.
Thank you for your concern regarding his teeth. However he went to the vet in April with his foster mom, and his health and teeth were checked out and given a good bill of health. I actually think I may have found out why his teeth were stinking...
I spent a good 10 minutes scrubbing his teeth last night, really getting into every groove I could reach. I then used the dental pads and wiped all over his teeth and gums thoroughly. So far, he's had normal smelling breath all day, even after his meals! I'm wondering if maybe I wasn't brushing well enough and some of his food just sat in his mouth for weeks, basically rotting. Because I'm smelling his mouth now and I smell nothing. I'm going to see how it goes for the next week. If it comes back, then it's probably diet related. If not though... maybe it was just a bunch of junk stuck in his teeth.

I do agree though, I've gotta change his diet. I'll be eliminating all the veggies aside from carrots to see if it helps with his gas. I'll also leave out the yogurt for a bit and see if I notice any difference. I've looked into the premade foods but honestly they're just out of budget for me. I prefer making my own since I can monitor what I put in it and for me, it's much more budget friendly. I've just got to play around and find a diet that works better for him!
Veemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!