View Single Post
Old 10-03-2016, 05:35 AM   #9
ladyjane
Resident Yorkie Nut Donating YT 20K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellymonsterMom View Post
Bella didn't have diarrhea...only the dark, but soft, lightly formed stool twice. She had no other symptoms- no vomiting, no liquid stool, no pain. She was behaving perfecting normal. Also, they didn't test the first samples for blood- only the last one and it was negative- under microscope ( don't know why they were specific on that method)

They did the CPL test... in addition to all the other blood work which was fine. I didn't know any of this as my husband took the stool and dog in without my knowledge - likely because he was worried he gave her something and I am militant on not feeding her fat/food from the table.

I didn't know to ask if there were false positives with this test- if abnormal could come from just having a bit more fat in the diet and not actually Pancreatitis.I did ask if there was a level / number to the test as she said it was "mild" but she said no.

I'm confused.
LOL I am a militant, too. I totally get it. Let me tell you, though.....even being that way will not totally protect them from illness.

Anyway....as to the pancreatitis. It is confusing but honestly as long as they are doing well it is better to look at them and not just the test results. The most conclusive way to diagnose pancreatitis is to send out the cPLI and do ultrasound but those are usually done only when there are real symptoms. Some tests, while not perfect, are good to do just to get an idea.

There is a saying "treat the patient, not the tests" ...

Glad all is well.
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!