View Single Post
Old 03-09-2006, 11:18 AM   #1
melanie_j
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Talking hi! new here - future yorkie owner!

hi!
my name is melanie, i'm a 28 year old married stay at home mom to 2 kids, ages 6 and 3. we have a silly little mini daschund - my daughter named her lollipop - and a sweet kitty named grace.
we live in the country in a teeny house. thanks to the good lord and maybe a little luck, we are purchasing almost 100 acres closeby and building a home this summer. yippee!
i have wanted a yorkie for years, and now may be the perfect time to FINALLY have that wish granted. a close friend of dh's has started breeding pomeranians and yorkies. he told me he would love for us to have one. (YAY!) the puppies are 9 weeks now. i told him i wanted a larger yorkie. he suggested one of the males. i havent seen them yet, but i will very soon - can't wait!
i have a few questions.

do you think a yorkie will be ok with my two other pets?
lollipop is very gentle and loving. she is best friends with the cat. LOL she thinks all animals are her friends.
grace is very easygoing, lazy even. she spawls out on the kids' bunk bed all day while they're at school, and romps around with the dog all evening.
i am mainly concerned with the adjustment period. when we adopted grace, i slowly introduced her to the dog. now they love each other.

i have no worries about the kids. they are gentle with animals, especially babies. right now my daughter's favorite thing is to help her daddy feed 8 baby lambs every night. my son (3) is also careful with animals, thank goodness.

what things will i need for the puppy? do you have any recommendations?
i know i will need a small crate, bed, food, collar, etc.

thank you all so much - i am so glad i found this wealth of info!
melanie_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!