View Single Post
Old 04-09-2016, 05:02 AM   #11
107barney
T. Bumpkins & Co.
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstinard View Post
Here is a link to a US group that is studying duration of immunity for rabies vaccinations using challenge studies: Duration of Immunity Study for Rabies Vaccine - Rabies Challenge Fund

From their February 21, 2016 update (SUMMARY OF LATEST RABIES CHALLENGE TRIAL - Rabies Challenge Fund ):

"Fifteen dogs were included in this trial. Only one of the 5 dogs vaccinated in 2007 showed protection against rabies, while 4 of 5 dogs vaccinated in 2009 (80%) demonstrated protection against a rabies virus challenge. Once all 5 of the unvaccinated control dogs showed the very early clinical signs of rabies virus infection, they were humanely euthanized.

Per CFR’s Title 9 recommendations, the surviving 5 vaccinates will remain under observation for another 6 weeks to detect late development of any clinical signs of rabies."

So the vaccination failed after nine years, but was 80% effective after 7 years. Unfortunately, this brief report does not give the titer values, although it mentions that these data were collected.
80% effective after 7 years seems like it's not effective. This is why I just vaccinate every 3 years. In my state, if you don't have paperwork then the dog can be quarantined in a state shelter (and not even at your vet). I'd rather vaccinate than risk quarantine.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!