Thread: Bordatella
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2016, 10:13 AM   #14
pstinard
YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namor View Post
Deuce just had a bad reaction to his Bordatella intranasal vaccine this time. He has had the intranasal vaccine before (5 Years) with no ill effects. We are using a new vet since we moved and the product they used caused Deuce to come down with Kennel Cough. They used IntraTrac3 so it is a combo of things - Bordetella, adenovirus, and parainfluenza. Unfortunately I did not ask BEFORE they gave it to him and my poor boy was miserable. Yep I had to go back and get antibiotics for him - they charged me of course. He's fine now. It took about 4 days to get over. So for the next time? The shot is safer? Or should I go with nothing at all. I do not board him, I do my own grooming, and there is no way I'd let him run around with big dogs at a dog park. I do take him for walks though.

I's also wondering if the problem with the vaccine was its administration. Does a vaccine have to be mixed or diluted before being given or is it just purchased by the vet dose ready?? Anybody know?
The problem was probably with the intranasal administration--they use a live vaccine, so the dog can develop kennel cough. We just had our Bella vaccinated a few days ago with the injected vaccine--no problems at all. So yes, the shot is safer, but if you're not exposing your dog to other dogs, you might not need to vaccinate for bordetella at all.
pstinard is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!