View Single Post
Old 04-07-2016, 09:05 AM   #10
Yorkiemom1
Rosehill Yorkies
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstinard View Post
Here is a link to a US group that is studying duration of immunity for rabies vaccinations using challenge studies: Duration of Immunity Study for Rabies Vaccine - Rabies Challenge Fund

From their February 21, 2016 update (SUMMARY OF LATEST RABIES CHALLENGE TRIAL - Rabies Challenge Fund ):

"Fifteen dogs were included in this trial. Only one of the 5 dogs vaccinated in 2007 showed protection against rabies, while 4 of 5 dogs vaccinated in 2009 (80%) demonstrated protection against a rabies virus challenge. Once all 5 of the unvaccinated control dogs showed the very early clinical signs of rabies virus infection, they were humanely euthanized.

Per CFR’s Title 9 recommendations, the surviving 5 vaccinates will remain under observation for another 6 weeks to detect late development of any clinical signs of rabies."

So the vaccination failed after nine years, but was 80% effective after 7 years. Unfortunately, this brief report does not give the titer values, although it mentions that these data were collected.

This is the research information (perhaps not from THIS specific source, I cant remember!) that has led me to my decision to provide rabies vaccinations every 7 years to my dogs. This is information that has been around for years, since it has been years since I have chosen to go this route. I decided on a 7 year limitation because I felt they would not be "overdosed" on that vaccination schedule, yet they would be protected their entire lives.
Yorkiemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!