View Single Post
Old 04-07-2016, 04:00 AM   #11
107barney
T. Bumpkins & Co.
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerryn915 View Post
Thank you for your advice! I have been following your responses on other threads and it's good to hear that you have your boys issue managed well! I gave him half the dose of prednisone at 4 am (I was desperate) it seemed to finally take the edge off and he is no longer panting. I'm going to call the vet this morning and request a diff treatment. I want the cough suppressant (hycodon) I hope she gives it to me without me bringing him in. I have video of how he was all night but he just can't afford to get worked up at all again. I pray there isn't too much permanent damage to his trachea from this horrible night.
I would tell her you need drugs to break this cough and you don't want to wait around for Pred to work or have him stressed out through severe side effects or coming back into the office. She should've already broken the cough for you last night when you were there.

Hycodan can go to a high dose even though most vets aren't comfy with it. I go to 3/4 pill if I need it, but knock wood he is good on 1/2 pills every 6-8 hours now. Yesterday I wasn't home so he had the dose after 9 hours and was honking. I gave him 3/4 pill and he fell asleep like a baby all night. It is not overly sedating either, our boy runs around and is very active.

I use omega 3a for inflammation and sometimes give 1/2 tsp of raw honey to smooth him.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!