View Single Post
Old 04-02-2016, 10:29 PM   #17
lillymae
YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KairaPup View Post
You should never go over the rectum, just around it. It's very easy to cut that sensitive skin with the clippers!

I have seen dogs who were unused to being shaved around that area who act funny after simply because it feels weird to have there be no fur. But they get over it quickly.
Oh it's real believe me. I have been shaving dogs for at least 30 yrs and it is real & not something they get over in just a short time. It takes 1 to 2 weeks & sometimes longer, until the hair grows out a bit, long enough to stop poking them. Also the area between the back legs if shaved too short on some dogs will poke them. It also has to do with hair type & nothing to do with razor burn or cutting them at all. The dog I just had shaved will NOT scoot no matter how full his anal glands are, or will he lick or chew at his butt ever, he just runs from it & does the butt plant. He does these things if his anals are full OR his butt is cut too short. I 1st fostered this dog & for 3 weeks I had him at the vet 1 to 2 times a week for what I thought was anal gland issues, they checked his anals each time & most often they were empty finally they sedated him & flushed his anals. The anals were never swollen or irritated looking at all & the rectum was clean & healthy looking & when he was sedated for the anal gland flush the vet went up his rectum with the scope to be sure there was not a foxtail or something up in there & each time they found nothing wrong in the area. It took me 3 or 4 shavings to figure out that he was reacting to the hair poking him. You could kind of compare it to shaving your bikini area, some people have no problem with it & others get a rash from scratching the area as it itches & pokes from the hair being too short & poking you. I can actually understand how a Groomer may have never heard of this as you would only hear from someone IF you cut or razor burned someones dog, but there are no marks or irritation to be found most of the time unless they are made by the dog licking & chewing at the area & I have never seen a dog with this issue make contact with the area not sure why but they just usually don't. Anyway this is not just a 1 time thing , it happens every time the specific dog is shaved in these areas & will always need to be scissored vs shaved.
lillymae is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!