View Single Post
Old 02-27-2016, 08:12 PM   #8
YorkieMomNYC
Senior Yorkie Talker

Glad you had good experience with The Honest Kitchen, but we found it made Cody poop a lot, sometimes up to six times a day!

We switched to Dr. Harvey's veg-to bowl along with our protein, which happens to be bison. That, along with some Benefiber, seems to have been a better combination for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiefromnj View Post
I posted this on the health and diet board, but this one seems to be the most active. I'm wondering what experiences anybody has had with The Honest Kitchen food. I used one of their base mixes, you add your own protein. It is more expensive, but I'm not throwing away "leftovers" because she actually eats it!

Here is my original post: I just wanted to post my experience trying a new food. I'm not sure how I found it, but I started Maggie on Preference by The Honest Kitchen about 6 weeks ago and it has gone great.

She was on royal canin since we got her as a puppy. For most of that time we have had to mix in chicken or beef to get her to eat. That started back when she ate chicken and rice for a few days due to tummy issues. She always tried to pick out the meat and leave kibble behind, though many times she would eat it all (if we added more meat). She rarely was excited to eat unless she smelled the meat cooking.

I discovered the base diet of the honest kitchen. It is all dehydrated vegetable and fruits with no grain and no protein. You add your own raw or cooked protein. I figured I was giving her meat or chicken every day anyway and it seems like a healthier option. She really likes it! She finishes it (mostly) every time and is excited for me to feed her. I am so happy that she is interested in her food!

It seems like more volume, but it's hard to tell considering the food is not compressed like kibble. She has bigger poops, but the consistency of them is good. Switching her was so easy! The first 2 tries I kept in some of her royal canin as well and she seemed to not like the new food. I realized she was still trying to pick out the meat, but it was harder because it mixes so well with the new food. I then left out the kibble and she ate it up! I just switched over completely on the third day and she had no transition problems.

She seems to have more energy on her walks, but maybe that's coincidence. She's a yorkiepoo, has been weighing 11.2 but after 4 weeks on new food she weighed 11.

Just wanted to share. Also, I got it at Pet Valu. I dont think petco,or petsmart carry it. It's also available online.
YorkieMomNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!