View Single Post
Old 11-09-2015, 07:24 PM   #12
capt_noonie
www.yorkierescue.com
Donating Member

I really hope that her quality of life doesn't suffer and you still have her for a good long time. You're right, seven years isn't long enough. Most people say they know it's time when the bad days outnumber the good ones. If you think she's doing ok, I don't think it's selfish to keep her on needed meds to let her stay with you.

That being said, I had to only do it once so far. The vet thinks that Scrappy got in some type of poison bc he went from perfectly fine to having seizures and going unconscious in less than 3 days. One of my biggest regrets was not being with him when they let him go. I just couldn't do it, but when I think about it now, I really should have been strong for him and held him in my arms.

I also had him cremated. The vet had one price for a group cremation where you don't get back ashes, and another higher price for single cremation and you get back ashes. Personally I highly doubt the ashes I have are actually Scrappy, but how can you really know? I felt pressure from one of the vet staff to pick a pricey urn/box for him, like if I didn't pick a pricey one I didn't care about him. But I didn't like any of them. Another much more compassionate staff member told me to just get the cheapest box (white plastic) and get or make a better box for him myself.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!