View Single Post
Old 08-31-2015, 10:41 AM   #1
jdmfastdc2
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default New Yorkie Owner!!! Need advice

I am brand new to the site, and also a brand new Yorkie owner. I purchased Calvin last Thursday as a 30th birthday present for my wife, and indirectly a present for my 3 year old daughter too haha. He is 10 weeks old, and just a little guy. They expect him to be near 5 lbs. Now I realize the questions I am going to ask are all answered in other threads, but I was getting confused when reading the threads, and I was getting some contradicting info, and I was hoping I could get some advice in my own thread so its easier for me to follow. I am just looking for training advice. He currently does not eat very much, therefore he does not go to the bathroom often. We try to take him out every 45 min - 1 hour, and we always bring him to the same area of the yard. He has yet to go potty while outside, and usually wants to run around the yard instead of stay in the area we are designating as his. Are we doing the right thing? Should I buy an exercise pen for outside that I can drop him in, so hell be forced to stay in that area? Also, currently at night we put him in a cage. Based on other recommendations I covered him four sides of the cage with a blanket and left the front open. I keep the cage in our downstairs family room with the door open during the day, since its where we hang out. He never goes in the cage on his own, ever. All he wants to do is cuddle or play. (I am not complaining) We had the cage in our bedroom the first night but he was yelping too much so we moved it to the upstairs family room. He yelped most of the night and we dealt with it. The second night he did it again, and I needed sleep, so I moved the cage downstairs where we can not hear him. What would you guys recommend we do at night with him? He is so great, and we just want to do this right! I just wish he was housebroken now so he could sleep in our bed! Thank you in advance for any help. I attached a photo of our little guy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg calvin.jpg (193.3 KB, 43 views)
jdmfastdc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!