View Single Post
Old 08-06-2015, 10:06 AM   #19
yavenay
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieMaysMommy View Post
I love this thread - they certianly are smart buggers! We have had construction going on nextdoor to us for months (joy). Our house is VERY close to theirs (we live in downtown Charleston SC). The workers use the driveway between our two houses, and walk up and down it all day long and Maggie doesn't even flinch. But, if my husband is walking up the drive she runs to the door barking. He doesn't even have a regular schedule, he works from home and is in and out all day. And it isn't the car that she can hear because he is usually walking home from wherever he was. And she can't see him because there are no windows on that side of the house. Its crazy. She will go to the door when he is still several houses away.
I actually saw a segment on this. It seems dogs know when their owners are coming home even when the owner doesn't know. They had a camera on a dog and a camera on the owner. They had the owner purposely come home at different times and each time, the dog would start looking for the owner about 30 minutes before the owner came home. Isn't that amazing? My last yorkie (RIP Brandi) was in the window every single time I came home, no matter what time I came home.....eerie.

So now I have a yorkie who knows the difference between a car ride and a walk. They are truly amazing. Another thing I noticed is the behaviors they exhibit when the no one is around. Now that we have cameras, people are seeing amazing behavior from animals that had never been seen before.

I think we are now beginning to understand that animal behavior is not just instinct but actual thoughts and feelings.
yavenay is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!