View Single Post
Old 07-06-2015, 12:34 AM   #2
BorderKelpie
Senior Yorkie Talker

As far as his butchered hair, it's just hair, it will grow back. Was he sold to you as a show/breeding prospect?

I would suggest getting a mentor to help you with showing and breeding. Breeding dogs is difficult and expensive (unless you don't want pups, then they seem to just spew them out lol)

Two books I recommend before even thinking about breeding:
Successful Dog Breeding: The Complete Handbook of...Successful Dog Breeding: The Complete Handbook of...
AmazonAmazon
There is a lot of expensive and time involved with breeding. Puppies are adorable, until they start pooping and eating everything in sight. Puppy breath is wonderful - the stench of puppy poo, not so wonderful. Then, there are vet visits, vaccines, deworming, etc.

Don't forget prebreeding health tests on your dogs, too. Just going to a vet and getting a general exam won't cut it. Eyes, patellas, bile acid tests, etc.

Mama's personality will change while pregnant and nursing. If all goes well, she should be back to almost normal by the time you have placed the pups (at 12 weeks for toy breeds). Or, you could loose her to complications.

Really, really think this through before jumping in over your head. It is a major undertaking.

And, just because they're Kupo's pups, doesn't mean they will be little clones of him, either (in case you're just wanting another just like him). Each and every individual has their own temperament and personality. Also, if you are tempted to keep a pup you've bred, remember, s/he may or may not get along with his parents once grown. They usually do, but I have seen cases with others, and am living with a son my daughter kept from my breeding - she moved out, the pup didn't and he and his sire HATE each other. Yeah, that's been fun.

Seriously, really think about why you're wanting to breed. If it's just to have the experience of a litter, foster a pregnant mama from the shelter. The shelter will usually help with costs and you can see just how much work is involved. And, you'll be saving lives. If, after that, you still want to breed your dogs, search for a good mentor. It helps to have someone with you during the stressful hours while you wait and worry for those pups.

best wishes

Last edited by BorderKelpie; 07-06-2015 at 12:36 AM.
BorderKelpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!