View Single Post
Old 05-18-2015, 08:27 AM   #9
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhill View Post
Yeah, that's one of my questions (I posted a set of questions in the breeder forums-- it has to be approved, I think). We have an emergency animal hospital a half hour away. I have it programmed into my GPS should we have an emergency. But our regular, not-an-emergency vet is further away.

She seems distress free so far, but I'm wondering if there's a sign I wouldn't normally read. She's acting like she usually does, other than hanging out in the whelping box when she's not with me or my mother.

We have all the supplies on hand. We had a litter of Shih-tzus a few years ago, so we're hoping that was good prep. The mother then wasn't quite as small as Chewie, but close, and we did have to assist with one pup. My big fear-- other than "why is nothing happening"-- is that we'll have to rush her out for a c-section. I think we have everything else under control.

It just seems like it's been too long, and that's making me paranoid. I'm sure all of you can relate. I get unnerved when she has an ear infection. I'm so overprotective.
Well, I suppose you could google signs of distress, I don't know them, I just know you should know them. People get x-rays to learn how many puppies to expect, sometimes the mama goes into distress before the final puppy and this is why knowing how many puppy to expect is important. I'd call my local emergency room and tell them my plight, and ask them if they will see her right away if you need to bring her in. I personally would check around and see if there were any breeding/birthing coaches around that could come to your house. Once man get involved with breeding, the animal often needs mans help to deliver, and there are many things that can go wrong. If she were a year younger it wouldn't be such a big deal. First pregnancy at four is more difficult. Don't forget, dogs can get pregnant all their lives, so you many want to get her fixed even though your boy is fixed, I really wish you the best of luck through out this, and hopefully she will have an amazingly easy birth and everything will go as nature intended.

Join today and remove this ad!