View Single Post
Old 05-09-2015, 07:09 AM   #25
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmike86 View Post
JMO I wouldn't give white rice at all because its isn't a good food. But I guess if your trying to ease the stomach. I find if you make all your food or mix with kibble they usually have less stomach problems as long as its made healthy. Dunno all dogs are different gues you need to try everything and use what works JME/JMO
I'm not sure why you have the idea it a bad food. Usually, humans cook it with too much fat and that makes it a bad choice, but it has lots of good nutrients.
Quote:
Vitamins

A cup of enriched white rice provides 108 micrograms of folate, or 26 percent of the daily recommended intake, per serving. It has 0.3 milligrams of thiamin, or 20 percent of the daily value, and 3.4 milligrams of niacin, or 17 percent of the daily value. Grains lose some of their natural nutrients during the refinement process. Enriched grains have some of the vitamins and minerals replaced, but not all of them.

Minerals

Enriched white rice provides 2.8 milligrams of iron, or 16 percent of the daily recommended intake, per serving. It has 14 micrograms of selenium, or 20 percent of the daily value. Rice is a sodium-free food. A high-sodium diet can cause high blood pressure and increase your risk for heart disease and stroke, according to the Department of Health and Human Services. A serving of white rice is higher in sodium if you add salt during cooking.

Nutrition in a Serving of White Rice | Healthy Eating | SF Gate
Compare that with brewers rice not found as the number one ingredient in so called premium food.

Brewers' rice is the small milled fragments of rice kernels that have been separated from the larger kernels of milled rice. (AAFCO definition).[1] Brewers' rice is a processed rice product that is missing many of the nutrients contained in whole ground rice and brown rice thus reducing the quality[2]
Quote:
Brewers' rice and second heads are one of the many byproducts that rice milling creates. Second heads are milled rice kernels that are one half to three quarters of the original kernel. Brewers' rice is a milled rice kernel that is one quarter to half the size of a full kernel. Second heads, depending on their quality are used to make rice flour. "If the quality of the second heads are poor, they will be sold for pet food or dairy feed. Brewers rice is sold for pet food and dairy feed exclusively."[3] and, despite having little nutritional value is found in approximately one third of pet food sold in the US.[4]

This can also be the waste rice product after it runs through the brewery.
Brewers rice - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Brewers rice offers mainly calories which are indeed important, but I don't believe "empty" calories are beneficial.

Join today and remove this ad!