View Single Post
Old 04-28-2015, 01:55 AM   #8
docmartin
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Firstly thank you all for your kind replies. In the UK we have KC approved breeders, who have bi-yearly inspections and their details scrutinized etc. These people register their dogs with the club and you can expect papers going back at least 5 generations, showing the hereditary lines.

Secondly there are breeders who are not KC registered and thereby in paying no inspection fees etc cannot register their dogs with the club. They tend to be enthusiastic amateurs, who love the dogs they procreate without the published specifies into inherited genes etc. This category still of course produces lovely Yorkies, but as with the likeness to owning a boat, it can become a money chute. Crystal (our present York) was a re-home at 20 weeks of age, she had no accompanying papers, apart from her inoculation certificates. At 27 months now, she has a luxating patella (1), but seems rudely in health and her cutter, who made many appearances at Crufts over 40 years says she has a wonderful show coat and very aristocratic lines.

I have recently been asked $450 and $1200 and to be honest the pups at 6 weeks old each, looked identical? That said, its whats beneath the skin that counts I'm sure and I want a happy healthy dog - in that equation cost is immaterial. The more expensive pup traced back to Osman Sameja (otherwise known as the Ozmillion) line, with many show champions listed. He was 'Crufts' Grand Champion in 1997. The other little girl was much smaller and a real cutie from a doting owner. So my ambivalence is heart over mind and for a seasoned, retired , but very soft-hearted Economist, that's a bit of a challenge!
docmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!