View Single Post
Old 04-21-2015, 11:37 AM   #21
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by judywolk View Post
I just rescued a 12 year old female Yorkie two days ago. She also had most of her teeth extracted this week because of a previous owner who didn't take care of her.
I'm concerned because in the 2 days she's been with me, and the three days at the shelter, she hasn't spoken a word. She just cowers under the blankets. She also doesn't drink water, although she is eating. She doesn't get up, move around, or interact. Is this normal behavior for a senior yorkie in a new situation?
If anyone can recommend toys that she might like I'd be so appreciative! Or any advice about anything for that matter!!!
Thanks everyone!
Judy
How wonderful of you to do this. I imagine, she's in a lot of pain from the extractions, and so she won't exactly be her true self. Also, it may be that she's been abused in the past. Don't try to baby too much, instead of giving them confidence, it can make them think something is wrong, but of course you can baby a little! Sometimes older dogs don't like toys that much and it might take some time for her to like them or interact with them if her mouth is hurting. As soon as you think she's feeling a little better, I'd try taking her on walks, I think most dogs really enjoy this and at first you might have to carry a while and walk a while, but walking really seemed to give my little rehome a lot of confidence. Best of luck to you.

Join today and remove this ad!