View Single Post
Old 04-15-2015, 04:27 AM   #61
ladyjane
Resident Yorkie Nut Donating YT 20K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirTeddykins View Post
People have criticized me for buying a purebred dog but those people were the same people who bought from BYB and even told me that I could have gotten my dog 'cheaper' elsewhere. I have never told anyone, apart from you all on YT, how much I paid for Teddy. So, there are some strange perspectives from others re: rescues, breeders and what I call 'true breeders' who breed for the betterment of a particular breed.

I do not feel guilty for buying Teddy from a breeder who is part of Englands Kennel Club and is also president of the Yorkshire Terrier Club of England and who is also a Crufts show judge and international show judge. I have been called a 'snob' for sourcing him in the way I did which I find extremely disappointing. I made sure that I went to the people dedicated to preserving the standards of the Yorkshire Terrier and who ensure that his health, and his parents health, are paramount.

I have heard appalling things re: shelters and I have heard appalling things re: 'breeders'. Recently, we all learned of the lengths people will go to when that poor Irish setter was poisoned during a Crufts dog show. So, evil can manifest even from those dedicated to preserving a breed.

I would say, therefore, that research needs to be undertaken to analyze the source of any animal. Reckless breeding leads to shelters, life events, etc., it's true. But the animals in shelters are just as deserving of love as any other animal.

The ONLY thing I disagree with are those people who set out to breed with no prior experience and no desire to better a breed. The people who breed for money or 'just because they wanted to' really do offend me with their ignorance. But, all we can try to do is educate to ensure that these shelters populations reduce because it is cruel to leave dogs in a cage with no certainty of a happy life which they deserve all because someone 'wanted a puppy'.
I don't know why you would be criticized for buying .. it really is no one's business.

As for rescues who think everyone should adopt, that is just some rescues and/or rescuers. Not everyone wants to adopt....they love having a puppy and raising him/her. Nothing wrong with that. I have guided people who have asked for information about where to buy a puppy.

I do believe it is important to speak out against bad and indiscriminate breeding. That is for the good of everyone and the pups.
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!