View Single Post
Old 03-01-2006, 10:21 PM   #12
Kate
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladylavender
I am one of those that beleive that crating is a "good thing". It was recommended to me to crate Millie during the day when I was at work. This was recommended by a certified professional dog behavioralist. But she did recommend the crate with the walls, not the wire cage type crates.

It worked! Millies was perfectly fine in the crate for 9 hours. Never pottied and slept until we got home.

I think the crate does make them feel secure. When they have free range of the home, before they are ready for it, they look at this Gigantic "den" that is their home, and they feel that they have to protect it. This becomes overwhelming for a small dog. When you confine, them, you are limiting what they need to protect and you are also making them secure in that they are protected from anyone getting to them.

I think crating them, when you are not home also creates good behaviors. They learn how to act when you are not there.

Thats my 2 cents, based on my personal experience. I'm an advocate and do not see it as inhumane, but actually, just the opposite.

Re: the crate with walls? Can they see out at all? It sounds like the top is open, as well as the front door area, and that is all.

I have a wire crate.

Today, I started dangling my keys, and not going anywhere. She really stresses when she hears me getting my keys.

My vet is all for crates, but it is hard to put her in one when she hates it.

I put some small kibbles in a Kong for her today, and she got everything out and that kept her busy for awhile while I was out, but she was not crated.

My laundry rooom, where I usually keep her, is confined and she does terrible in it. Maybe this is too big for this little gal.

I will test the crate tomorrow.

Many thanks.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!