View Single Post
Old 02-28-2015, 09:39 AM   #17
megansmomma
Donating YT 10K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracielove View Post
When they put the dog under to do a procedure they put a tube down the throat for breathing. I hate to mention it but it could be they damaged her trachea when putting the tube in or pulling it out. Using a tube that is too large for her could also do harm. If she did not have problems before this then obviously the procedure had something to do with it.

I would get her to another vet and have them do x-rays of that poor darling's trachea. You need to know just what the condition of their trachea is and how much damage was done. This sounds worse than just an "irritation."

Some Yorkies do have weak tracheas and owners have to be very careful when handling these dog's throats by never using a collar when walking the dog and by making sure groomers do not use a grooming noose on them. Even handling the neck area during bathing can cause damage to a weak or partially collapsed trachea.

I have read that some people who have dogs with these problems have used supplements to help strengthen the trachea tissue. Supplements for joints should have what is needed in them. Using a humidifier would help the inside of the throat to remain moist so there is less irritation and help prevent coughing spells. Getting her to another vet for a good evaluation is your first priority in my opinion.
Working in the OR on a daily bases it is very normal to see PTs waking after surgery coughing which might also be called a Laryngospasm. As you stated I tube is placed into the trachea that could cause irritation but that does not necessarily mean that the tube is too large for the trachea nor does that mean damage has been done by placement of the tube.

The trachea is made from cartilage rings and muscle. Those rings and muscles can become weak from many factors. Some dogs that have preexisting issues involving their trachea may become irritated from the placement and removal of the tube even after a minor procedure like a dental. Most likely the coughing is a Laryngospasm. To state the vet damaged the trachea due to a post anesthesia cough is misinformed. The OP was given steroids and the issue eventually went away. Which would indicate the trachea was irritated and not damaged.

X-Ray's are the first, cheapest and quickest look at a trachea. If these show a CT other types of procedures can be used such as fluoroscopy or endoscopy for a more detailed look inside of the trachea.

Endoscopes are used routinely in ENT surgery to give the surgeon a good view inside the trachea. Fluoroscopy can also be used as well to visualize the trachea. All are a mute point since the OPs dog has since recovered with a dose of steroids.

Last edited by megansmomma; 02-28-2015 at 09:40 AM.
megansmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!