View Single Post
Old 02-28-2006, 05:21 PM   #1
Jenn218
Mojo, LilyGrace & Me
Donating Member

Default ? about Nascar & Redneck?? I don't understand?

Okay, this is VERY Off-Topic, but I am curious!

How is it and why, do people associate Nascar (or any other auto sport) to be considered a Redneck sport?

Here's the deal:
My husband received a free trip to a Nascar race (everything paid). We had never been to one (and definitely wouldn't have spent that kind of money on going - very expensive) so we thought why not! Well, as we mentioned this to several people, they would joke that we were rednecks or going to watch a redneck sport....What???!! I don't understand. Even one of my daughters friends father said to her...."so, you're into those redneck sports??" I couldn't believe it! Course, she said, "Mom, he spends all day on the couch watching golf or golf videos" - okay, we are not golf fans and know there are people not racing fans either - to each his own, right.

Okay, the trip was fun, lots to see at a race (wow, really amazed at what all there is to do at a race and how big it is), but we will probably not go to another - I found that I didn't like sitting there for several hours w/ nothing too exciting happening (plus, it was alittle too expensive for me, just that I could have found tons of other things to spend money on). Luckily, it was a free trip and something that you might only do once in your life. It seems to be better to watch on tv on your comfy couch - and even then, I couldn't sit through the whole thing....caught the beginning and ending. Okay, drifting off topic here!

The crowd was a diverse group of people - I didn't see anyone that I would call Rednecks - there were several rowdy college age boys, some with beer hats on, but in general most looked like the normal every day person and several were even very upperclass and business like. Of course, there were TONS cheering for their favorite driver - hey, that is what you do with any sport.

I just don't get it.........do people realize that it takes a lot of time and money to attend one of these things and how many people from all over (different backgrounds, etc) come to these things? I know that the racing teams have lots of money and put lots of money and hard work into their cars, teams, etc. The owners are all pretty much multi-millionaires and to most this just isn't a job, it is their passion and hobby. The crews and drivers have to be well trained, physically fit and well educated at what they do - just like any other sport.

Would this mean that my dad is a "Redneck" too?? My dad and some buddies finished their college/votech learning and started their own restoration company (restoring old cars) and soon starting building and selling race cars and drag cars. This wasn't because they were rednecks, just that there was a growing interest/demand for them and then it soon became a hobby - with many of them (including my dad) racing on dirt tracks and on drag strips in the area. Now, these were young, well educated, respectable men (all from good families, good upbringing, well dressed, well mannered, etc). They no longer race (age thing, I guess, hee,hee), but some still own their old cars that someone else races now AND many of them are still involved with classic cars and like to watch an occassional race.

But then again, when my dad and several business buddies got into Harley's, they were all considered "rough" and in a motorcycle gang! Yeah, I can see my dad and his buddies with their graying hair and polite manners causing trouble on their "bikes". Again, I don't think people realize that we all have different hobbies and that these are really expensive hobbies! Not to say there isn't any rough biker gangs out there, but still...........these guys were older business men that spent lots of time and money on something they loved. Why do we judge???

I just truly do not understand where and why a car race is considered a redneck sport? Can anyone clarify this for me?

Thanks for allowing me to ramble on...........
Jenn218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!