Thread: whelping help
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2015, 12:44 PM   #6
Dragonkeeper
Yorkie Yakker

Hi there luckywolf968. It sounds like you might be the kid in the household and your mother has allowed you to let your dog have a litter of pups? Please do not take offense to the replies you have gotten so far. Most of us here feel pretty strongly about keeping the Yorkie breed pure, but that in no way means your little Sassy is any less precious!
That being said..

1. A whelping box can be just a flat box your little girl can stretch out in lined with a puppy pad or newspaper that can be easily changed out in between births.

2. You should already have your little girl on a higher fat/protein/calcium diet ( a good quality puppy food with an additional calcium supplement would do).

3. There is also a good whelping pudding mix recipe in this forum that I am using for my girl. I mix it with the puppy food that I have soaked in warm water to make soft and feed it to her 3 times a day along with a bowl of dry puppy food being available to her at all times. Continue this diet until she weans the puppies completely then gradually introduce her normal adult diet food.

4. Please do have your friend on call to come help with the whelping in case any complications arise. If your friend is a professional breeder, they should be able to give you advice as well. Have your Vets emergency number on hand as well.

5. Please read up on what the signs are that your little Sassy is beginning labor so that you will know when to start getting things ready and she is not left alone.

Good luck in bringing those little bundles of joy into the world and read...read...read...fast so that you will know the work that goes into making sure you have healthy Mom and pups.
Dragonkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!