View Single Post
Old 11-18-2014, 07:32 AM   #1
yavenay
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Default A dilemma....what to do!

Okay long story but I'll try to keep it short. On October 27th, I had to put my cat of 15 yrs to sleep. She finally succumbed to kidney failure. She lived a long and good life and while I was extremely upset that she passed, I knew she had lived the best life any pet could live.

I got Dutch about 4 months before Zoey my cat passed. Dutch is 2 years old and is still very playful and mischievous. My cat hated her though and didn't want anything to do with her.

Now here is where it gets a little weird. Exactly one week after my cat passes, i saw the neighborhood kids standing around our mailboxes, when I went over to ask them if anything was wrong, I saw they had a kitten maybe about 6 weeks old. They said the kitten had been out there for about two days and they were feeding it. None of them could take the kitten home. They were so concerned about the kitten that I offered to take the kitten home with me promising the next day I would take it to the humane association or some other reputable shelter.

Well as it turns out none of the shelters in my area are accepting cats right now. They are all filled up. I even offered a 100$ donation but they just don't have the room right now but they said to keep checking back. So now I am fostering this kitten until I can find it a good home.

Now here is where the dilemma comes, Dutch and the kitten absolutely adore each other. Dutch I think is beginning to form an attachment to her. When I am not at home or sleeping, I keep the cat in one of the spare bedrooms. Dutch just sits at the door waiting for me to let her out, and when I do they are so excited to see each other. They play together for hours and when they are done playing, they cuddle and fall asleep together. It is the cutest thing.

For various reasons, at this time I really can't take care of another pet. But at the same time, I know it will break Dutch's heart if I find the cat another family to live with. I am torn between keeping the cat and giving it away. I haven't even name the cat yet as I don't want to form an attachment but Dutch is clearly in love with this kitten. The humane association say to give the call back on December 2nd as they are moving into a new facility and not accepting any pets until then. So I think I'll hold off until then but I think it will be hard on Dutch the longer I wait.

Last edited by yavenay; 11-18-2014 at 07:34 AM.
yavenay is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!