View Single Post
Old 11-03-2014, 10:58 AM   #5
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBe View Post
Thanks, I will do this. I wasn't going to keep her in the crate at night or any length of time. I'm home all the time and I thought since she won't pee in her crate I can put her in there until she has to go then maybe she will go on the pad and then she will get the idea when I praise her. Since she is so young and shouldn't be away from momma anyway she gets lots of leeway, but I don't want her to get used to going on the floor and I don't want to keep her in her pen in the laundry room all the time either. Right now her and Gunner are playing and I know in a few minutes she will have to go, so I will put her back in the pen to pee.
Yeah, even at 12 weeks, they can only hold it an hour or so, a little longer at night. I mean they are peeing every 10 minutes at her age, I think the main thing you can do right now is to keep her as dry as possible. Some puppy mill dogs who are confined to their cages actually learn to become accustomed to their urine and it's almost impossible to reteach them. I kept Joey in an xpen during the day, unless I could keep my eyes glued on him. At night he was in a small crate by my pet, I took him out once or twice during the night and placed him on a pad, in the morning I took him outside and during the day, I'd take him outside every hour or so. Most dogs actually prefer to go outside.

Last edited by Nancy1999; 11-03-2014 at 10:59 AM.
Nancy1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!