View Single Post
Old 10-15-2014, 11:49 AM   #5
theporkieyorkie
YT 1000 Club Member

When I visited an acquaintance a few years ago, the guy would always get after his pit bull puppy for greeting me at the door. I assumed he wanted the dog to be a protection dog and didn't want it to be friendly to strangers.

A few months ago, a friend of mine got a yorkie....well, his girlfriend did but he would often watch it. I was so excited. I gave it all of Ricky's clothes that were too small, told him about harnesses instead of leashes and got him to get his dog on a decent brand of food.

When I would come over, the dog was always skiddish. I assumed he was like my dog Princeton. Prince is scared of strangers as well. I wish he wasn't as it's embarassing to say "please don't try to pet my dog, he's scared and may bite." But as a responsible dog owner, I have to. Anyways....one day, after several visits, I bent down and the little yorkie came up to me and sniffed my hand and didn't run away. I was elated and shared my excitement with the owner and asked if i could pet him....I typically don't pet someones dog without asking first as you never know if they are aggressive.

The owner quickly told me that if his girlfriend was ever around, please don't ever touch the dog as she would get mad. She doesn't want the dog to be friendly with anyone but immediate family. I didn't understand why, as I want a dog who loves everyone. He explained that they don't want it to be friendly with strangers because people steal dogs in his neighborhood. He didn't want someone to be able to call the dog and have it come to them and disappear.

I now respect the guys wishes and don't pet his dog. Once he explained it, I somewhat understood why he felt the way he did. I am still not sure if I agree with it though.If the dog ever got away, nobody would ever be able to catch it to return it to him. The dog would most likely become dinner for all of the starving, wild dogs running around Detroit. On top of that, it would be a nightmare at the groomer and vets....

Ricky was a runaway and it took the rescue a month to trap him in the cold month of November in Michigan...because he would not come to them. I don't know how he survived, but he was severely malnourished and was a mess.

IMO, the key to not letting someone steal your dog isn't making them afraid of strangers....instead, you need to watch them at all times when they are outside....and not leave them unattended in public places and vehicles. My dogs are never left unattended outside. I don't have a fenced in yard so they are always on leashes....and even if I had a fenced in yard, I would still be outside whenever they were out. I also don't leave them in a car by themselves. Heck, I am too afraid they could fall while trying to look out a window and hurt themselves...not just worried about them getting dog-napped

I understand there are different rules in different neighborhoods and I don't think any less of the guy. I was just a bit taken back that people want their dogs to be afraid of people, when I've worked so hard to try to make my dogs comfortable with others.

Wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience where people want their dogs to be afraid of everyone but them?!?

Last edited by theporkieyorkie; 10-15-2014 at 11:51 AM.
theporkieyorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!