View Single Post
Old 10-06-2014, 08:32 AM   #13
magicgenie
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelittleyorkie View Post
Yeah, I understand what you mean. I will wait for the breeder's reply and the reference people's replies and see what they say--then make my best judgment. The main worry for me is is no health testing/health clearance issue. But so far I like the breeder, the parents, and the pup so it's sort of a hard decision.
Even veterinarians aren't too impressed with the so-called health clearances, so don't put too much weight on that. A breeder's reputation is a heck of a lot more telling. Health testing---dogs with great knees are still producing pups with luxating patellas, and vice versa. Knees can be great one year and bad the next. HIPS--Legge Perthes shows up out of parents with perfect hips. Since it's polygenic we don't know the mode of inheritance. EYES--How often are we supposed to repeat that test? How often does PRA show up in Yorkies anyway? What test predicts liver shunt?
If breeders really wanted to do the right thing, there would be a data bank where we could report and track health issues. I keep such a data base for my own breeding, and would galdly submit the information to a central place that could track these things across generations of pedigree.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!