View Single Post
Old 10-05-2014, 06:13 PM   #7
thelittleyorkie
YT Young Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy1999 View Post
She sounds like a lovely person, but as a breeder, there is not enough information. Why is she breeding, just to provide more pets? We have so many pets available, and in my opinion, the only reason to be breeding is because you want to better the breed. You think you have something to offer the breed, and you think you have the knowledge to breed a better and healthier dog. In order to do this, you must be super aware of breed standard, and only breed those dogs that conform to that. The best way to find out if they conform is to belong to breed clubs and be involved in showing. At the very least a breeder should be thoroughly educated in all Yorkie illnesses and have her breeding dogs checked thoroughly for genetic problems. My guess is she’s breeding her pets, and this is a big no no. Good breeders love their breeding dogs, but understand why it’s important to treat them more like working dogs and not pets, it could mean the difference between life and death, when it’s time to whelp. I believe every buyer should try to find the best breeder they can find and one whose doing it for the right reason, not to make a little extra money, nor simply to provide pets.

I do think some of the cons are pros, for example, she doesn't let her dogs play outside because they have hawks, most pups you'll have to train to like grass, at first they don't like the feel of it. I also don't think just because she use to breed lhasa-apsos that that would be a bad thing. Many breeders started with one breed and fell in love with another, but if she's switched just because Yorkies are easier to sell, then that would be a bad reason. Two of the Pros aren't really pros, they are probably done by many to persuade people that they are indeed a good breeder, but they are meaningless. For example these two:

She requires all potential adopters to fill out an adoption application.
-She posts tons of tips/advice on her FB page about deworming, etc..

I do like that she's willing to take the pup back if you can't take care of it, I wonder if she's ever taken any back. Also, as far as the questions that you were uncertain of, "AKC Conditional only" I think that means limited registration and that means she won't be selling breeding rights. This is definitely a sign about someone who might care for the breed, however, some say that but if you offer them more money, they will sell the breeding rights. A good breeder doesn't sell breeding rights.

Do you live close enough to her to check out the breeding conditions of the dogs, if not, look elsewhere please.
Thanks for providing me some excellent input, Nancy. I emailed her additional questions about her breeding program, why she breeds, etc.,

On her website, she states that her prices are firm as she believes that pups are not gardening tools that can be bid over. She also states that her pups do not NEED to be sold and that she is happy keeping them if they do not get sold.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!