View Single Post
Old 08-30-2014, 03:14 PM   #38
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

Dear goodness, no wonder you found this "training" highly distressing to both you and your dog! My goodness. It's actually cruel in my mind but let's move on and I'll post a step-by-step method that most dogs readily accept and find they are so slowly desensitized to your getting ready to leave and going away, they find ways to adjust in increments to being alone and before they know it, can stay alone and learn to busy themselves or just go to sleep and rest until you return - haha - one of the reasons they overpower us with such fabulous, energetic greetings. While we are away at work or running errands or whatever, they are resting up and ready to go as soon as we get home and are good and tired! Still, as soon as we see that spinning little ball of fur who greets us so happily, we usually find the strength to do whatever it is they need from us!

I have slept with every one of my dogs but have also trained them to be confident and independent through training that builds up their self-assurance, removes irrational fears and gives them the ability to be content apart from me. Yorkies love to be on or near you but most are only clingy when they are ill or live a lifestyle where we lavish them with nothing but affection and never teach them how to be a well-adjusted dog. My Tibbe's favorite spot in the world is lying right next to me on my pillow but he's just as happy lying at the end of the couch or in his bed also and moves between those spots when I'm home with him.

He's now a happy, feisty, charming and well-behaved little guy so I know even a dog with loads of problems to start with, as he had in spades, can be rehabilitated and have his behavior reshaped with positive-reinforcement training and gradual desensitization to anxieties.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!