View Single Post
Old 08-28-2014, 10:34 AM   #1
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Animal Smiley 049 A Case for Crates / Crate Training

Here-in are all the reasons, I crate train all my dogs. In somewhat order of importance:

1. When travelling your dog is pretty safe in a crate. Also their medical records can be attached to the crate, along with any special instructions on removing your dog for their crate.

2. When you have workmen/servicemen, and or guests over, your dog can be safeguarded from them, and there is no risk of them escaping out a front door that is left ajar.

3. Going to the vets, and your dog needs to stay the day or overnight. A dog that is used to being crated has one less stressor in being in a strange place.

4. When you are visiting friends n family, and or staying in a hotel, your dog is used to staying in their crate. It helps to make them an ideal guest.

5. If you wish to do performance events with your dog, the standard practice is to have your dog in a crate when not competing. And if you compete with multiple dogs, it is a necessity.

6. If you should adopt a new pet, or rescue a dog with issues, there is a secure place for your first dog to go into.

7. If you are a breeder it is pretty well a necessity that you will need to crate and rotate as the saying goes.

I think that crates are a wonderfull tool to use for you and your dog. Can this tool be abused? Of course, just like any other tool or device.

My dogs go into their crates when-ever they want to, not just when I ask them to GoToCrate.

Crate Safety:

If you use a wire crate, you must remove collars. It is a pain, how-ever there is a small risk that a buckle or what-ever on their collar could get hung up on a part of the crate.

The pans need to be washed out frequently as dust/debris does accumulate.

Once a month or so, scan the inside of the crate for its integrity.

If your dog tends to chew the bars, consider a hard sided crate.

Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!