View Single Post
Old 07-28-2014, 04:43 AM   #2
kreuer
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurLittleLady View Post
We have had Lady for almost a week. I put her in a playpen beside my bed with an open crate, food and water, and a pee pad. The first night I kept the crate closed and opened if she cried and let her potty and then put her back in the crate. The second night we started leaving the crate open and she would go in and sleep and come out if she needed to pee. She also will take some naps in there during the day and willingly go into the crate and sleeps. The past 2 nights she doesn't want to be in the pen or crate at night and wants to be in bed... With me. I really don't mind sleeping with her but my bed is very high off the ground so I an getting zero sleep because I'm worried she'll wake up and wander off. So do you let them just cry and whine and do the crate or pen? I really want to have a good dog but I'm not sure about the right way to train her to be that way. Also she is almost 8 weeks old.

You have to treat your pup like you would your kids. I know you have children so you know you can't give into their crying and whining when they want something. If you want to her sleep in your bed, great, but if you don't, you can't give into her crying. If you give into it once, she will continue to do it. I got Lexi at 13 weeks, and had to her sleeping in her crate from day one. She barked the first couple nights, but that was it. She would continue to whine some nights, but I would just tell her to be quite and she would go to sleep. I also only put her in the crate when she was ready to go to sleep. When she was younger I would take her out to go pee if she whined at night, but she would go straight back into the crate.
kreuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!