View Single Post
Old 07-18-2014, 07:47 AM   #164
Wylie's Mom
Furbutts = LOVE
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 107barney View Post
I don't think it's a matter of being right or needing a "hollow little victory" for some. I think it is about some people have very strong views and they are not likely to change those views. It is this unwavering from one's position that seems to get people really upset -- so if you don't agree with the opposite view, you're a bully in their eyes. I also think some members share very deep "core values" as Lisaly suggested....but, why are their values any less than the values of those who have different values. It cuts both ways....for everyone here, including me. I am fully cognizant that my posting style/personality may not mix with let's say someone like Lisaly who I see as having a totally different type of approach. I see that as a GOOD thing on the boards. I'm just sorry not everyone can view it this way. Perhaps the best way to resolve it IS for the moderator/admins to PM the offensive posters and discuss what the issue is and how that poster can improve.
I hear you in terms of having strong views and sticking to them, however, what we've been seeing here are views being shoved very rudely at times down people's throats -- and that's not helping anyone at all. It's one thing to have strong views and be direct -- there is NOTHING wrong with that. It's another thing to have strong views and be rude and badgering at the same time. That's what needs to stop on that front. I think that's what the posters with a less direct posting style are looking for...at least that's what we've heard and seen.

Now, on the flip side of things...what I'm hearing form the more direct posters is "please don't preach to me about my posting style". What the more direct posters are asking is that if one of their posts is seen as inappropriate, to please *just* report it, rather than telling another person how to post or that their post is rude. We're hearing that loud and clear. I think it's a fair request. That said, it's well within the rules to state an opinion such as "I think this thread is bordering on badgering this member and I'd like to see that tone change" -- a member is allowed to state that sort of opinion, whether we like it or not. But the request has been heard, very clearly, that people who find things offensive to please use the report icon.

I want to comment on another aspect of this subject that we've heard much about behind the scenes and that is when members are VERY clearly juuuuust riding the cusp of our rules here -- where they're just on the edge...not quite breaking rules, but very clearly getting as close as they intentionally can. We know when you're doing it, and you know when you're doing it. Going forward, if a member is clearly riding that edge -- the post will just be deleted, period, gone....and any/all educational info you shared will have to be rewritten. And if that sort of cusp-riding behavior accumulates - suspensions or bans will follow.

As for "why this thread" instead of private PMs - it's because this is a community problem, and the community deserves to know it's being addressed. And the members of the community deserve to have a voice about what's been happening and what they've been seeing...no matter where you land on the issues. When there is an outcry for action, the community needs to know we've heard it and are addressing it. It's a public matter, therefore, we want to be transparent.

°¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨° Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie °¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨°
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!