View Single Post
Old 02-24-2006, 03:12 PM   #4
alaskayorkie
Banning Thread Dictator
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyxp
Hey guys!
My boyfriend bought me a 5 month old yorkie yesterday, and this is my first time really owning a dog. I had a dog before, but I never took care of him because I hated him -- my siblings loved him and took care of him. However, this time..I'm taking full responsibility for Coco(my dog) and I'm kind of having some trouble.

How do you "play" with him? How do you know when to take him to his pee pee pad? uhggg i don't knowww?
Congratulations. We should have an emergency check list for new owners. Here's some stuff I'd suggest:
1. Use a harness, not a collar. Yorkies have delicate necks.
2. Say "no," but don't be too forceful when he has accidents in the house. Instead, put him on his pad (or outside, whichever you prefer), and praise, praise, praise whenever he goes where he's supposed to. He will probably walk in circles or pace when he needs to go.
3. Feed him a high-quality dog food. Search for "food" on this site and read what others have said. But if you decide to switch diets, do so slowly. 5 percent new food, 95 percent old each week.
4. Yorkies have a tendency to be goats and eat things they're not supposed to. Watch his chewing habits closely and don't let him swallow bad stuff. Kongs, nylabones and other hard toys are best for dogs that chew and swallow.
5. Good luck, and post pictures!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!