View Single Post
Old 02-24-2006, 09:47 AM   #60
Zeke'smom
Yorkie Talker

Wink Zeke's food

We've tried quite a few foods for Zeke. The breeder sent us home with Eukanuba, which he will not eat! We then tried Nutro Ultra Holistic, Artemis, Flint River Ranch, Canidae, and Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul. We have decided on a 1/2 and 1/2 mixture of Nutro Ultra Holistic and Chicken Soup as this is what Zeke seems to like best. This combo gives him a good variety, he has nice, regular stools (sorry to be gross), pleasant breath, and a nice, shiny coat. The Flint River Ranch was just too big for him to chew and Artemis and Canidae gave him the most God awful breath! For treats he gets these animal cracker pretzels from Petco made without sugar, chicken bites, cheese, peanut butter, Greenie bits (as a training treat mostly), a carefully supervised rawhide occasionally, and venison bites. He's a rather finicky eater and through trial and error we've found a combination that works for him!

Just to put in my two cents worth on some of the issues of this thread, we do not feed Iams, Science Diet, or any department store foods. Our reasoning for this is quality ingredients. Yes, these are animals, but we want our animals to live happy, healthy lives for as long as possible. As humans, we choose to put crap into our bodies on a daily basis, but the key word is CHOOSE. Our pets don't have the opportunity to voice their choices to us, so we have to choose for them. As long as I am making a choice for my beloved pet, I will choose foods that have quality ingredients! I look at the first several ingredients of a food and choose ones that have animals meats, whole grains, and vegetables. I try to stay away from things like corn, fillers, sugar, and white flour. Honestly, our pets eat better than we do because they don't have the opportunity to make the bad choices that we make each day. It's funny really, I would die before I would allow Zeke to drink Dr. Pepper and eat McDonalds, but this is food I put in my body on a weekly basis. I only wish that I had the willpower to make the good decisions for myself that I strive to make for my pets!
Zeke'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!