View Single Post
Old 06-19-2014, 11:37 AM   #275
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstinard View Post
AHA!!!! The systematic review mentioned in the Viszlas study stating that risk of mammary cancer shouldn't be a concern in making decisions about spaying is the same review mentioned in the study that I just quoted in my last post:

"A recent attempt to determine the significance of these data by systematic review of the veterinary literature was unable to identify strong evidence suggesting that spaying decreases the risk of mammary cancer; however, this systematic review is based on work in human medicine and requires a massive body of literature, which does not exist in veterinary medicine.35"

So there is a difference of opinion on the validity of that systematic review...
AHA indeed. You really need to look very closely at the wordage, and how it was swung in the Vizslas report and the above quote. I am not sure why your authors quote above was even looking at human research. Other than perhaps a review of the literature required IDK 10,000 studies which quite simply don't exist in vet medicine, which I would think is probably true But still in one way your quote is saying, there is not enough evidence because there is Not enough evidence to say one way or another if there was strong evidence to support mammary tumours.

That is different to the Vizslas report stating that another author said the evidence was "weak and not a sound basis...et" There is a strong indication that report is referencing the author above. And if so, they have mis-represented their statement in my mind. The fact that they were unable to develop strong evidence because there was simply not enough body of evidence available, is not the same thing as saying there is weak evidence. The might we can't take a position either way for strong or weak evidence, as sic there is not enough evidence to make a decision on this.

So to my mind the question is, given that dog population is a whole lot less than human population, with I would think a narrower gene pool, how much is massive for dog research? I mean how many studies, etc etc.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!