View Single Post
Old 06-19-2014, 08:33 AM   #237
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
I agree, but my take on how this thread progressed is different. I do not believe it is anyone's intention to attack or not allow different positions.

My take is that some participating in this thread think some of the discussion is interfering with the presentation of science. Gail's first post includes her own conclusions about spay/neuter. The research being posted also includes conclusions that go beyond strict data.

I would not make a decision to neuter based solely on a set of statistics, same as I would not make the decision to neuter just because I was told to do it or not do it. That is why I think the discussion should include more.

Science doesn't exist in a vacuum. The health impact of spay/neuter goes beyond what we can find in blood tests and xrays. The 'human convenience' factor, for instance, impacts the health of the pet immeasurably by contributing to the likeliness of a happy life. The articles posted discuss this.
Exactly. And yes Wylie's Mom, you posted what I was thinking as well.

I'm glad you all think athletic Yorkies is some kind of a joke. God forbid you keep a Yorkie in shape. I'm glad you're happy with couch potatoes. But I was actually referring to dogs in general. I didn't know that wasn't allowed anymore on YT, simply because it's a yorkie based forum? All I meant was there is a world out there, of dog sports, where these dogs are trained as athletes. Keeping them intact is often beneficial for these dogs. All I meant by that.

I made a pretty simple straight to the point post and stated my dogs will always be fixed, and that I don't think there's enough pros/cons on either side to really care all that much. And I do agree the general dog owning population should have fixed dogs. There's nothing wrong with discussions on a forum, however. I did not know we had to be so careful what we say in case non-members read our threads. In that case, what's the point in even discussing anything anymore? Anyone can Google and find an answer their happy with.

Fwiw, 83% of 83.3 million dogs have been surgically altered to have their reproductive organs removed in the US. That is 69 million spayed and neutered dogs. I'd say a majority of the US has altered dogs so I'm really not overly concerned with responsible breeders and responsible owners having a choice as to whether they went their dogs reproductive organs removed. And for the losers who just let their dogs roam free, impregnate whatever dog they see, and have the thousands of puppies per year that wind up in shelters? Well, they're idiots. Maybe eventually they'll learn, but maybe not.

Ladyjane, I'm not sure why the long post SHEESHing me... I was making a generic statement to the whole thread. I read all your posts clearly, and wasn't really addressing them, simply stating... well read Wylie's Mom's post, I'm tired of typing... lol..
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!