View Single Post
Old 06-19-2014, 08:19 AM   #235
Maximo
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie's Mom View Post
I'm not speaking for Brit, but the way I read her post was that after she read the thread, she felt that it appeared there were some *very* strong pro-s/n advocates on this thread. Which is fine/great - nothing wrong w/ that. But I think she was seeing Gemy being a bit attacked for having some 'position', per se, while others who have the 'opposing position' (again, per se, not in fact) appeared to not allow the room for having a discussion or having an alternate position. I think she was saying "if we allow one position, why aren't we allowing all positions?" (with which, I agree). That was my take on her take . Now, your take of my take on her take could be completely different!

And just to be clear, I'm not saying you're pro this or anti that - only you can tell us your position, or whether you have one.

At the end of the day, this is a good discussion where we shouldn't worry (imho) about who supports this or that, but rather about how s/n affects our pets and why we make the decisions we do regarding their health...and how all this relates to current/past data and studies.
I agree, but my take on how this thread progressed is different. I do not believe it is anyone's intention to attack or not allow different positions.

My take is that some participating in this thread think some of the discussion is interfering with the presentation of science. Gail's first post includes her own conclusions about spay/neuter. The research being posted also includes conclusions that go beyond strict data.

I would not make a decision to neuter based solely on a set of statistics, same as I would not make the decision to neuter just because I was told to do it or not do it. That is why I think the discussion should include more.

Science doesn't exist in a vacuum. The health impact of spay/neuter goes beyond what we can find in blood tests and xrays. The 'human convenience' factor, for instance, impacts the health of the pet immeasurably by contributing to the likeliness of a happy life. The articles posted discuss this.

Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!