View Single Post
Old 06-17-2014, 12:16 PM   #179
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstinard View Post
Well yes, definitely at the right time for the breed of dog in question. The reason I added the caveat about conscientious owners is that even for breeds where spaying is a health concern, if the owner is not responsible and keeping their female dogs in heat on lockdown, it would still be better to spay than have an unplanned pregnancy (in my opinion).
And those equations and balancing of risks/benefits must be discussed by a) a knowledgeable about their breed pet owner, and their own vet.

Quite frankly with the "huge" risk of hemangiosarcoma in both female and male GR's that were neutered either early or late, some studies are showing 1 in 5 GR's are dying of this at anywhere from 5-7 yrs old.
If you see one of my posts or links below, it is why there is huge support for the Lifetime GR study, which btw, the results of which should benefit many many breeds.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!