View Single Post
Old 05-27-2014, 06:03 PM   #36
kjc
I♥PeekTinkySaph&Finny
Donating Member

Hi and Welcome to YT! Just now seeing this thread... It's hard to recommend anything for the ears as some things may do more harm than good, depending on the severity and cause of the issue. Meds from the vet will contain painkillers which is the only thing I know of that will help your pup.

When I got my Tink as a 2 year old, her ears were very scabby and the ear flaps had become thickened... all she wanted to do was scratch. I had her to the vet the day I adopted her, but the vet only gave her an ointment for the scabs, which were secondary to the reason her ears were itching. I kept an E- collar on her all the time to prevent her from further injuring herself... the vet actually chastised me for doing this, lol. She spent the night at the hospital (for something unrelated) and I was told they had to put the E-collar back on her for the overnight, she was just scratching so badly. The vet said to give the meds a week or so to soften up the scabs, but it gave her no relief. As she came from the Humane Society, she had picked up Sarcoptic mange, which can start at the ears. After treatment with Revolution, her ears improved rapidly.

As a first time puppy owner, it's hard to tell sometimes what to do or not to do. In general, anything with the ears, eyes, vomiting or bleeding, pain or discomfort, needs to go the vet asap, especially with very young puppies. I hope your pup is on the mend.

Last edited by kjc; 05-27-2014 at 06:05 PM.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!