View Single Post
Old 05-20-2014, 07:57 AM   #3
lynzy420
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkiemom1 View Post
Before "professional breeders" devote years and years of studying pedigrees and lines of dogs, and learning what lines will work well with each other to produce puppies that exemplfy the breed of dog they are devoted to preserving, as well as all the genetic issues that can be brought into play when such careful and thoughtful planning goes into breeding two dogs, the last thing we ask ourselves is, "Will this litter that is PLANNED so carefully and lovingly, be worth the life of my bitch?", because it could easily cost her that. An emergency spay to terminate this unplanned litter, would have certainly been the best choice for your Yorkie, but I can see from your post your feelings definately are with the puppies and not the best interest or safety of the momma....."unusual hybrids are quite popular.....the breed is supposedly valuable.....". are I will pray for your unfortunate little Yorkie, that she survives this "misalliance", and that the babies that are being produced will at the very least, be healthy and survive the whelp. "Yorkies for Dummies" is an excellent book that is required reading for Yorkie owners. Far above the excitment of all the cute and wonderful goodies available for puppies, you should be preparing YOURSELF with a solid, working knowledge base about what is about to happen to your momma, her babies, and what YOUR responsibilities are going to be in this misadventure. The very first thing you need to know, is when a female is in heat. That happens about every 6 months, starting at age 6-8 months. Please educate yourself, as I suspect you have planned to become a "breeder", and because you got your intact female before you educated yourself in the minimum required principles and ethics of breeding, and she quickly got ahead of your learning curve, you and she and a litter of unplanned babies are now actually facing a very risky and unknown future. Learning very hard lessons, often heartbreaking lessons, is part of building a solid foundation for any person's development in their choice of adventures. For ethical breeders, breeders with integrity and accountability, and responsibility for what they are producing, we MUST remember to do NO harm first, and that it all about the puppies we are choosing to produce, puppies that should be representative of the breed we are breeding. Mother Nature will take care of producing all the unfortunate "misalliances", and they will hopefully end up with loving families and not in pounds and rescues or dying on the highways, starving in ditches in the cold and rain.....THAT is Mother Nature's way.....professional breeders have to possess the direction, the CONTROL, the love and devotion to their breed of choice, to make certain that every puppy they produce has a future, and is a template for the breed standard of the breed they are. As a responsible, ethical breeder, knowing the consequences of unplanned breedings on the bitch as well as the litter, is the guiding force that makes decisions about what we must do with our breeders.....terminating unplanned and unresearched hook ups with strange dogs of different breeds or pedigrees, is not something that is done lightheartedly, but must be an option for the safety and well being of the bitch that outsmarted her human that is supposed to be in charge and responsible for her well being.

There is no better response, thanks for this Judy, great post.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!