View Single Post
Old 05-13-2014, 05:34 PM   #52
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Sweet Pea View Post
Hi, thanks... I am very concerned about my Yorkie getting the nutrition she needs... What dry kibble do you use that has a good nutritional balance AND how much do you feed? Do you know where I would find a good supplement or a homemade simple recipe that is nutritionally balanced? thanks again!!
Joey was a very fussy Yorkie and I tempted him with chicken sprinkled on his kibble, until he became even fussier. I finally found a kibble he loved with no special toppings and several years later he still loves it. It's Royal Canin for Yorkshire Terriers. It's made especially for fussy eaters and it works for us. You have to find the right amount of food to feed, the vet told me the most Joey should weigh for his size, which is about 5 pounds 10 ounces and I try to feed him enough to keep him around 5 1/2 pounds.

If you wish to do home cooking and your dog has no special medical problems, I've heard that the supplement "Balance It" is very useful in creating a balanced diet using human foods, for example, a boiled meat, a starch, like rice, corn, pasta, and a vegetable like green beans. You add the Balance It in the prescribed amount, and it's suppose to provide the necessary nutrients. Their website helps you create your own recipes based on your dogs likes, but you must remember that Yorkies are prone to pancreatitis and high fat meats that larger breeds can sometimes handle can send the Yorkie to the emergency room. So be careful on which meats you use. https://secure.balanceit.com/

Last edited by Nancy1999; 05-13-2014 at 05:35 PM.
Nancy1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!