View Single Post
Old 02-22-2006, 05:02 PM   #5
livingdustmops
Princess Poop A Lot
Donating Member

Here is one more I posted regarding traveling with your little one. This is a big thing to me. I personally like the Lookout seat the best as I don't think these little ones should be in the front seat.

I was looking at getting a new Lookout Cover for my dog seats and ran across these safety tips. Thought I would share with everyone since so many people travel over the holiday. There were a few I had not thought about.

5 Reasons Your Little Dog Should Use a Lookout Car Seat and Safety Car VestHarness

1. Distraction
Little dogs can provide much-needed distraction from the pressures of daily life. However, you don’t want your pet distracting you when you’re behind the wheel. The results could be disastrous--for you, your pet, and other motorists.

2. Impact
Pets without restraints are just like people without seatbelts: If you slam on the brakes or hit another car, they go flying and even the strongest person can’t hold back the amount of force generated, even at slow speeds.

3. Emergencies
A dog that has been in an accident is likely to be in shock, confused, and injured. They may not take kindly to rescue personnel without provocation. You can minimize this danger by properly restraining your dog. They can also be frightened and run from the accident scene. If you’re injured you can’t run after them.

4. Control
Even a well-trained dog can be distracted by a squirrel or cat. If your dog is properly tethered they can’t jump out the window or chase after another animal when you open your door.

5. Comfort
Imagine standing blindfolded in the back of a moving truck. That’s what the average car trip is like for your dog, a series of unexpected starts, stops, and turns. You can increase your dog’s security and comfort by giving them a boost up to see out the window and providing comfortable restraints.

Dos and Don’ts...

Do use restraints that offer mobility
Some restraints only allow your dog to remain in a sitting position. That might be fine for a quick trip to the post office, but over a longer haul your dog should be able to sit and lie down. Lookouts come with soft Sherpa fabric that give them a soft bed for hours of commuting.

Do properly fit your dog with the correct size restraint
The padded Car VestHarness (#202215) has a flexible fit and a soft cloth lining. The harness slips over their head with elastic fit at the collar and only two adjustable clip buckles at the girth on the dogs’ back for their comfort. The D-Ring attaches easily to the Lookout clasp and later to their lead when you take them out of the car. There’s also a loop on the harness for seatbelt attachment when your Lookout isn’t available.

Do have an I.D. tag on your dog at all times when traveling
You never want them to get away from you, but if they do be sure your cell phone number and address appear on their I.D. tag.

Don’t put your dog in a crate or cage
In an accident a crate or cage will go flying through the air just like an unrestrained dog. If the crate itself is secured, your dog may hit against the interior walls with potentially lethal force.
Don’t let them hang their head out the window without eye protection Although a dog may love to have the wind in their face, an animal can suffer eye damage and even vision loss from road debris and insects. We recommend Doggles Safety Eyewear for your little dog whenever you’re on the road. They’ll look forward to wearing them if they’re know they’re going for a ride with you
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!