View Single Post
Old 04-01-2014, 10:55 PM   #71
mama2ferghus
YorkieTalk Newbie!

I dont know if this helps but many years ago a friend of mine had an issue, her grandmother was going into a nursing home. She had two dogs, one everyone loved and was willing to care for and another named Brat ( cattle breed mix) that no one wanted. At the time I had two dogs a doxie (Jasper) and a cattle breed mix (Max) but had a large yard. I told her to bring Brat over and she could stay with me. She stayed for two months. She was awful, it took four people to give her a bath and she bit my son and I repeatedly. She was 8yo. Then our dog Max, passed away at age 12. Brat became even more awful digging her way out of our yard and running away, biting more and barking. I called my friend and told her time was up on the fostering. I could not do it especially while grieving for Max. She stated she would come and get her the next day. That night someone tried to break into my home while my son and I were present. Brat scared them off. I called my friend back and let her know that Brat was staying, from that night on I treated her like my dog rather than a temporary dog. Not that we had ever treated her bad but you try to keep distance if they arent yours. With love and attention she eventually and quickly became an incredible dog. She was 8 when she came to live with us and she is now 15. She has doggy dementia and it breaks my heart because I know that soon I will lose her. I just adopted my baby Ferghus and hope she can show him how to be a good dog.
However, my dad had a little dog that nothing worked on. I almost always adopt old dogs and "retire" them so I am good with dogs, and know how to rehabilitate them. His dog was something else. She could be nice but you just never knew when she would turn on you. After ten years of trying everything we could we had to put her down after she attacked me with no warning. Sometimes dogs need extra attention and work, sometimes they need a different home because they really arent a good fit but in another home they can do wonderfully. And sometimes they just "aint right", for whatever reason. Just like people.
mama2ferghus is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!