View Single Post
Old 04-01-2014, 09:55 AM   #1
ShowGirlLola
YT 1000 Club Member

Default Spay questions and freaking out

Lola is getting spayed on Thursday.

I'm freaking out about it, my cousin's dog is the last one who had anesthesia for anything (dental) and she nearly died because the vet ODed her on pain medicine, didn't have the reversal meds, and didn't tell us what was going on (O idk why she's not waking up, give her more time) after an hour we decided to rush her to the ER vet. ER vet told us about the OD, the vet who did it still won't admit they did anything wrong and it took my cousin 6 months to get them to write off the dental bill (dental was around $1,000 and so was the ER vet). Her dog is close to 40lbs, Lola wouldn't have survived that type of situation.

I've been with my vet for about 15 years, he spayed my poodles and removed a lipoma on one of them. I trust him but I'm still freaking out. I told him about the OD and he was horrified, he said he can't guarantee much but he can guarantee he won't OD her.

My questions:
1. WWYD? The vet wants Lola to stay over night, they close at night for 12 hours. A vet tech stays in an apartment over the vet's office and checks on the animals periodically. I don't want to leave Lola, the vet said I can sign a paper saying I took her against medical advisement, I want to do it but my mom is insisting it's a bad idea. (Lola is my dog, I'm paying for the spay and I'm an adult)
One of my concerns with leaving her is she's really weird about going to the bathroom, she won't go in front of people including me. She can and has held it for over 12 hours. There's a possibility she'll go in the cage after they leave and I'm afraid of her laying in it.

2. How drugged will she be the first night?

3. I know a lot of you use onesies to keep them from licking, this won't really work for me because I don't know when she goes to the bathroom. Are there any other good alternatives? Long t-shirt? Belly band?
ShowGirlLola is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!