View Single Post
Old 03-31-2014, 06:18 PM   #15
megansmomma
Donating YT 10K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britster View Post
I did not know that about Tia.

And yes, fighting dogs can absolutely be rehabilited BUT dog aggression is completely seperate from human aggression. Typically, dogs that come from fighting rings are amazing w/ people, because they HAVE to be, and have good bite inhibition in order for the people to sometimes get in the middle if need be. They're typically pretty good at not biting human hands, even fighting with a dog. BUT, when you get hoodlums from the cities breeding these dogs, anything can happen, really. Not like they're paying close attention to which dogs may have HA as well as DA.

I am advocate for pit bulls, but dog aggression is often part of their genetic makeup. Not *always* - there are lots of pits who are fine with other dogs, but most pit owners will tell you that crate & rotate once maturity hits is a huge possibility. And these dogs are typically amazing with children & families.

But yes, living on a chain your whole life with little to no human interaction and only a bone could definitely make a dog a bit nutty. I still think the reaction was way over-called for and that is why he should be PTS. While Jackson has never bit/growled at a human, I can't say for sure how he would react to a strange kid coming in to a yard, if he was tied up and not able to get away, and tried to take a high value item. He may very well bite, and that I wouldn't blame him for, but if he mauled the kid (even though he's smaller, so yes, not as much damage would be done), I am not sure what I would do or think. This dog held and shook (i.e. like a dog killing it's prey) so it doesn't seem like simply any normal bite.
That part is very troubling about the story.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!