View Single Post
Old 03-25-2014, 09:16 AM   #28
megansmomma
Donating YT 10K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc View Post
I almost lost my first Yorkie to anesthesia. I was also in the surgical suite with the vet and surgery tech when it happened. I was a newbie tech at the time and was there only to observe. The vet explained that because she's a terrier, they fight when they're going under, and basically she was over medicated, then it finally hit her and she started going into heart failure. They had to bring her level up quickly and stabilized her before continuing with her surgery. She was being put under very gradually, and the reversal drugs were right there, so I believe they were prepared for this type of reaction.

This same reaction occurred when my step daughter had her feeding tube placed. It was her first operation, first time being sedated, and as she has severe Cerebral Palsy, I could not explain to her what was going to happen. The second time she was put under, she understood when I told her the doc was going to put her to sleep to change her feeding tube, bc she did remember the first experience. Just thought this a strange coincidence..
Sedate and then intubate.......there should really be no issues with intubation.

As for your daughter's situation I can speak from my experiences working with many different types of disabilities pre-surgery and they always premeditated the PT in OR holding. As long as the PT does not need to give surgical consent (as is the case for your stepdaughter I'm assuming) there should be no issues in offering a sedative early on while waiting for her procedure. My suggestion for in the future should your stepdaughter need another procedure is that you could speak to the anesthesiologist as soon you arrive or convey your concerns to the attending nurse. They're very willing to offer whatever is necessary to help alleviate undo stress preoperatively. I've even worked with several surgeons that order Xanax as a standing order prior to surgery. This is in addition to other pre-surgical drugs. Surgery is can be very frightening so the anesthesiologist like to avoid undo stress prior to even entering the OR Suite.

Last edited by megansmomma; 03-25-2014 at 09:20 AM.
megansmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!