View Single Post
Old 01-24-2014, 06:33 PM   #9
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

The candidness of your post is refreshing. What a large world ahead of you, you have.

Let me say what many have said on this thread; you have already begun on the right path, by getting an experienced breeder/mentor; well done! There are many, many things you need to study, need to practice, and need to observe, through the whole spectrum of breeding to improve the breed.

In terms of this as a Money Making proposition. THat is quite frankly slim to none, if you do it the right way. That means spending all the $$$ to health test, specific health tests for the breed, championing your dog (s), training, feeding the best quality food for your dog, and the list goes on.

Let me share with you, real facts, very pertinent as I have just imported a show 'promise" gal from Russia. And yes this is not a Yorkshire Terrier but the analogy applies. After the dust settled, custom duties, pre genetic screening on the litter I was interested in, shipping, the cost of my darling is upwards of $4000+. Now there is no guarantee, that she will mature into her promise, and or that she will actually make a good brood bitch. So this is only the start.

She is and will be on very high quality food. Training of her annually that is obedience and show training will be upwards of $2500. I will send her to a handler for showing and for getting her championship if and only if, she still looks to mature to be a great representative of the breed.

As a puppy I will groom her, but already her first professional grooming is in 2 wks. Why? Because she needs to get used to her Show groomer and her table and her way of grooming. Each show groom for my large breed is upwards of $150 per groom. She will be show groomed once a month, until I retire her from showing. For major and big shows, I might have the pro show groomer come to the show, at my expense, to do touch ups for the ring.

Now at 6mths old I will do PennHip, which is an Xray, and a diagnostic tool to see if this gal will develop hip dysplasia. The cost will be somewhere in the neighbourhood of $160. Cheap if it is unfavourable, because that means you don't go to all the following steps.

6mths + Start showing as a puppy in puppy classes at AKC and CKC. A pro handler for puppies is about $65 per show. BTW you do this with a large breed, to get them used to the ring and the environs.

1 yr old - first prelim expanded Thryoid test cost $100 or so. You pass good to go. You are still keeping your puppy in the ring every 6-8wks or so to make sure they continue to be exposed to the show environment.

15 mths old - Temperament Test. Very important for our breed. It tells us how stable this dog is, and also gives some indication of arena of work the dog is suited for. Cost about $110.

15-18 mths old. Remember the training? This is where you start competing with your dog for their obedience title - first is Canine Good Neighbour, then is CD, and thenis CDX. Entry fees are minimal say $30 per trial. You need 175 out of 200 to pass and you need two trials that show marks above 175 secure your CD title.

Now your do Heart tests, Hearing tests, repeat Thyroid Panel, at a Health Clinic at a show, you might get away with $300 for these tests.

Finally at 2yrs old you do the OFFA certifications, Cerf's etc, for another cost of $300 or more. Hopefully by then your gal has secured her Ch's and then you are good to go for a well thought out breeding...
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!